Camp Ho Mita Koda Financial Assistance (Camperships)
Making Camp Affordable
The Camp Ho Mita Koda Foundation believes that every child who desires a place at camp should be able to attend – regardless of a family’s financial situation. With the help of generous donors, we are thrilled to be able to provide a limited number of need-based scholarships each summer.
Aside from income, we look at the number of children in the household and extenuating factors such as family member illness, loss of income, multiple children with T1D, high out-of-pocket medical expenses, recommendation from a physician, and so on.
Camp Ho Mita Koda strives to provide a camp experience to campers of differing social, cultural, and economic groups than might normally be seen in Camp Ho Mita Koda’s camper population. Camp Ho Mita Koda prohibits discrimination against its camper applicants based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, and religion.
Applications must be received by May 1, 2019 in order to be considered for the upcoming camp season.
Objective Standards for Camp Scholarship Eligibility
- Camper is self-motivated and wants to participate under the guidelines of Camp Ho Mita Koda.
- Camper is 5 to 16 years old.
- Camper is respectful of others and able to follow the guidelines of positive group dynamics.
- Camper has no history of behavioral problems that have resulted in removal from school or another camp.
- Camper is interested in grasping a broader sense of responsibility and a larger understanding of Type 1 Diabetes and is interested in acquiring greater self-confidence, know-how, and leadership skills.
- Camper is committed to being a positive contributing group member and shows a genuine interest in participating, understanding that his or her commitment means full participation and completion of the program.
- Camper’s family or guardian supports their attendance at Camp Ho Mita Koda.
- Camper’s family is unable to otherwise afford to send this child to attend Camp Ho Mita Koda, as shown by their submission of income and expense information on the Camp Ho Mita Koda scholarship application.
Income Eligibility Guidelines
This matrix gives guidelines as to how much could be allocated to a family.
We understand the financial burden that T1D places on a family. With this, an additional $5,000 consideration will be taken into account to offset the annual insurance deductible and assist families.
Household Size 2 – 3
< $45K gross annual income Partial- Up to 25% camper scholarship
< $35K gross annual income Partial- Up to 50% camper scholarship
< $30K gross annual income Partial- Up to 75% camper scholarship
< $25K gross annual income Full scholarship
Household Size 4 – 5
< $60K gross annual income Partial- Up to 25% camper scholarship
< $45K gross annual income Partial- Up to 50% camper scholarship
< $40K gross annual income Partial- Up to 75% camper scholarship
< $30K gross annual income Full scholarship
Household Size 6 +
< $65K gross annual income Partial- Up to 25% camper scholarship
< $60K gross annual income Partial- Up to 50% camper scholarship
< $50K gross annual income Partial- Up to 75% camper scholarship
< $40K gross annual income Full scholarship
How the campership application process works
- If you wish to apply for a campership, simply complete and send in the application via the link below by the campership deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed or considered.
- PLEASE do not call about the status of your application. We will contact you directly for any missing information and/or let you know when award decisions have been made.
- Although we try to meet the needs of all families, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide your child with a full or partial scholarship.
The assistance awarded is dependent on our scoring criteria detailed below. If selected, you will be awarded a specific session date and camp. Unfortunately, not all camps and session dates will have space available for financial assistance recipients, so we request that applicants maintain flexibility. Please do not register for camp before receiving an award notice because we are unable to retroactively apply scholarship awards. No other discounts or promotions may be used with camper scholarships.
If awarded, a $50 scholarship deposit is due at the time of enrollment. This deposit is subtracted from any partial camper scholarship fees, and the balance or tuition is due 2 weeks prior to the start of the camp session. If a family is unable to make full payment by this time, they can work with Camp Ho Mita Koda’s office once enrolled to discuss payment options.
How Camperships are Awarded
Our Campership Committee meets weekly to review applications and award camperships until all funds are distributed for the year. You may submit your application at any time up until our deadline.
Upon approval of an application, you will receive an email highlighting the amount of the award and the remaining balance due, if any. If you would like to pay with a credit/debit card, you have the option to set up the balance on a monthly payment plan. If you would like to pay by check, you can send the balance to the main camp office.
Financial Assistance will be awarded based on the following:
- Diversity-These scholarships are intended to broaden the diversity of life experiences of campers participating at Camp Ho Mita Koda.
- Economic Need-We consider family size, income, and/or extenuating circumstances when making awards.
- Motivation– A written statement from campers and their parents helps us assess motivation during our review process.
- Funding– Awards will be made based on the availability of scholarship funds.